The world is at an inflection point on racial equality. We have witnessed a collective response from people around the world who are fed up with the longstanding systemic racism in our society. I have watched with anger and profound sadness at what has been the all-too-frequent and disproportionate use of violence against Black men, women and children. The recent events in our country have put a spotlight on racism and the growing economic disparities in this country.
When you consider engaging with VIANOVA, I want you to know what kind of a company we are. We stand for:
- A just, fair and equitable world
- A sustainable and inclusive economy that works for all
We believe collaborative and cooperative interaction and engagement builds meaningful outcomes. We have always believed this — these are not just words written for this time in history. And, we’re pleased to learn we’re not alone in seeing opportunities to learn from each other and work together to do the right thing:
Last week, JUST Capital and The Harris Poll released the results of an extensive survey showing Americans believe the pandemic has exposed deep structural problems in our society and with capitalism overall, but 89% agree the crisis is providing an opportunity for corporations to hit reset, and focus on doing right by their workers, customers, and communities.
As a Certified B Corporation since 2008, and a Benefit Corporation, we are part of a global community of companies that are committed to creating an inclusive economy — one in which there are no institutional and racial barriers to economic prosperity for all. Understanding that we can do more to advance justice, inclusion and equity, we commit to:
- Confront White privilege, acknowledging our implicit biases and privileges, and how we individually and collectively enable the destructive forces of systemic racism in our society
- Speak up when we witness racial injustice — even if it may make others uncomfortable or may hurt our business
- Support Black Lives Matter and causes, campaigns, and public policies that are committed to racial, economic, and environmental justice
- Spotlight Black-owned businesses in our ecosystem
- Be more intentional about diversity, equity, and inclusion in all our services and the meetings and events we facilitate
- Uphold the values of anti-racism, equity, social justice, and inclusion in our work with our clients, our colleagues, and our community
We invite others of like mind to join us on this journey toward a more equitable and just society for all. To begin or add to your education, B Lab in the U.S. and Canada has compiled a comprehensive library of anti-racism resources: https://bcorporation.net/anti-racism-resources.
When we work together as one, we can be a powerful and unstoppable force for good. “Magnify the good you do”™ has been and always will be our rallying cry.
What You Can Do
There is much complexity to these issues but the way forward is crystal clear: stand for justice and equality in every decision you make. As a first step, consider anyone you know on the front lines of these demonstrations and ask what support they need. Beyond that, check out these resources:
- First, read this Twitter thread from B Lab on 4 ways you can take action today
- Second, consider supporting:
- Sign a petition. Every signature makes a difference:
- Register to Vote
- Consider joining us in any of the efforts mentioned above.
- Watch the smart video below that quickly and easily explains why systemic racism is a problem and what can be done about it.
Please join us in building a just, more inclusive future that works for everyone.
~ Frank G Scarpaci